Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Letting them grow up!

Kid #1 is almost 11.  I think of all the things I did at almost 11.  Riding bikes to a friends house, walking to the library.  Overnights in my friends backyard in a tent. Sleep away camps.

It gives me a sad feeling when I think of my "baby" being out on his own.  But I realize there is nothing I can do about.  Well, I could keep him in the house for the rest of his life, but that hardly seems right.  He is taller than me, his feet are bigger than mine, but he is my baby.

So this is the summer that I will let him go away to camp, ride his bike to activities in town and spread his wings a bit.  He will be a 6th grader and he is pretty responsible, but I don't have to like it!

Kim

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! It's so hard to let them go. Our oldest Madeline (14) will be off to high school next year. While I am excited for her, it's really hitting home that college is not that far away. I now understand what everyone says about it going way too fast. When they are little, you are just trying to get through the day, now I wish I could put on the brakes. I enjoy them so much at this age. I love having teenagers in the house. They are tons of fun, despite the bad reputation they have!
    I'm sure your son will be very responsible and the experience will help him grow. It's scary to let them go, but also rewarding to see the fruit of your labors.
    P.S. I am going back to work full time next month and would love to read about how the experience has been for you and what has helped you stay organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Jill. What you said is true, it happens before you know it. GOod luck to you as you return to work. Keep me posted!

      Delete