Monday, July 11, 2011

Where have I been?

It has been several weeks since I have made a post.  I have been so busy.  Actually it took me taking a vacation to get back on track.  Sounds crazy, doesn't it? 

To be honest, I have been running on empty.  I have been running from one activity to another, one commitment to another, one appointment to another.  I am often asked how I do it.  The answer I always give is: I just do.  Lately, it has become apparent that there are some things lacking in This Mom's household.  We have been so busy that our mornings are stressed, the house is a cluttered, our diet is awful and we have been tired and grouchy.  The children have become increasingly irritated (and did I mention grouchy). 

My husband has been saying for a while that we need to focus on the "business of the family" and I would take offense to that.  Isn't that what I was home doing?  But after some reflection, and a strong dose of reality, I realize he is right.  We need to focus on what matters most, what our values are and what our priorities are.  So, I have been spending the past weeks (and will be spending a few in the near future) putting together the systems to improve the family's business.  Also, we will be making those decisions regarding schooling, activities, and volunteer commitments.  We will be decluttering, selling and budgeting.  We will be paying off and saving.  I have already realized that some of the decisions are not going to be easy, but they need to be made. 

We have been just moving through life, but without a real blueprint or set of goals.  That is all about to change.  It is time for me to focus on doing a few things well and not lots of stuff in the nick of time.  I do believe I have been trying (without really thinking about it) to justify my role as stay at home mom, as special education mom, as mom of 4.  Always trying to prove that "this" wasn't going to slow me down.  I haven't slowed down, but I need to change my focus.  I will spend the next few weeks chronicling these changes and the sources for them.  Hopefully there will be tips everyone can use. 

I figure that I my children are only young for a little while and I only get one shot at this.  I want to make it count!

1 comment:

  1. I think it is so easy to move through life w/o goals or a blueprint, but your right it is important. I like the way your husband phrases it the "business of the family" - he is a smart guy ;) I look forward to what you post about this in the future.

    ReplyDelete