Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Budget

A while ago, I spent a year cutting over $5000 out of our family budget.  I cancelled magazines, newspapers, and cut out cable TV.  I am cloth diapering kid #4 and have been reselling my kids clothes.  I am posting lots on eBay and have considerably downscaled the birthday celebrations at my house.  I clip coupons, buy on sale and am always on the look out for a bargain.  Since is it has been sometime, I thought I'd document where we stand with our budgeting.

Here are some positive moments in the budgeting process:

Paying off my husband's car
Getting all the kids on board with the "party or a bike" birthday plan
Great garage sale haul for kid #4
A TON of summer clothes for kid #1 given to us by a friend

Here are some down times:

Paying more out of pocket for health coverage
Husband's transmission died 2 weeks after pay off
Kid #3 wants to play hockey (YIKES!)
Copays for kid #2 over and above what we are used to
Adding a gluten free diet for kid #3 (Those groceries aren't cheap!)

So, I am getting ready to take some of our extra items to my parents' house for a neighborhood yard sale.  I have some items listed on eBay.  I am looking for a flexible part time job.  I am trying to get okay with telling the kids no.  I am missing a real hair cut and highlight.

We have goals.  I want to be debt free.  We want to move or renovate.   So I am trudging along.  I know that the real blessing is that I am home with the kids and I need to appreciate that. 

2 comments:

  1. We just finished paying off a home equity loan (yesterday!) we too would like to move - we think. We don't know where, or when. Insurance! so thankful to have it, but we have still been paying a lot this year too. We are super close to being debt free, except for our mortgage. Good luck with the garage sale, and it really is one day at a time. Focus on what you have accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen. I know it is one day at a time around here too. We have a few decisions to make our house more accessible. With the amount of renovations, it may be easier to move (and build). I appreciate the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete