Thursday, February 24, 2011

Gluten free for Kid #3

My first born (Kid #1) was diagnosed with Celiac Disease at about 15 months old.  It was hard then to find items for him to eat.  There was no way I could go to a "regular" grocery store to get them and I got a lot of stuff from mail order.  Almost 8 years later, gluten free food is everywhere and I am a pro at it.

I have noticed that Kid #3 has a sensitive stomach. We discussed this with the doctor and she was screened for Celiac several years ago with a blood test.  The results were negative.  Two years and a different pediatrician later, I mentioned it again.  He suggested just trying a gluten free diet and seeing what happens.  So we are.  Her belly feels a lot better and her (**TMI ALERT**) trips to the potty are a lot more pleasant.

So this got me to thinking, maybe we should all go gluten free for a while?  We eat a fair share of gluten free products, but the majority of us still eat wheat.  I am currently investigating the cost, impact on the overall grocery budget and our health and happiness.  I need to experiment with a few things and try them (I have not tried a lot of the products I feed Kid #1!).  It is scheduled to be the topic at the dinner table tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Have you looked into the NAET treaments? I have several friends, including some dealing with Celiac, who have done the treatment and no longer have the issues. We're looking into it for Saragh's stomach issues. Here's the website
    http://www.naet.com/

    ReplyDelete