Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year, New Pantry

The new year is here!  My family has spend the last 3 weeks snacking, feasting, treating, and eating.  Our grocery budget and pantry are all out of whack!  I have decided to participate in the Pantry Challenge at goodcheapeats.com.  I have followed Life As Mom for a while now and am interested in seeing what "FishMama" has to say on her other blog.  She has outlined her goals, but I am going to modify mine slightly.

1. Spend no more than $125 per week on groceries.  (I am giving myself an extra $25 for the added expense of gluten free groceries.)
2. Do some serious meal planning, baking and freezing.
3. Shop  mostly the perimeter of the store.  Even if this is going to be a pantry challenge, I'll onmy need produce, dairy, and meat.
4. Shop with coupons whenever possible.
5. Try new recipes...get creative.

Are you in?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like fun! We're embarking on a highly ambitious grocery plan this year. later this month, we plan to buy 95% of our groceries for the year in one fell swoop. We normally spend about $10,000 per year on groceries and if we succeed with this plan, we'll spend about $2000 initially and then about $100 or less every other week on produce, dairy and other perishables. We'll be saving about half of our normal budget this way. I'm a little nervous :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. December wasn't such a great month as far as meal planning, eating at home etc. I am looking forward to getting back on track this week. Thanks for the links, I am going to check them out! I am curious to see what she posts on her LAM site today :) Are you going to do the linky on Tuesday's? I might if it will help to keep me on track! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete