Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Budget

It has been a while since I have taken the time to review this topic.  I was able to cut just short of $6,000 out of the budget last year and still feel like there is more to do.  I am noticing as the kids are getting bigger that a box of cereal doesn't last quite as long, a half gallon of milk can be consumed in a day and a half and a loaf of bread...you get the idea.  I have a few things planned immediately to further reduce our budget and move us towards our "living like no one else"

Budget reduction plans:
  • Implement the envelope system seriously this month.
  • Scale back my "fancy" cell phone and get a less expensive one.
  • Make another trip to the resale shop, sign up for a mom to mom sale.
  • Work on meal planning and grocery shopping with a strict eye on the grocery budget.
  • Limit the "extra spending", like my $1 Diet Cokes from McDonald's
  • No more purchases for the kids until spring!
I will try and keep you posted on my progress.  I will keep the running tally this year too!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! Yes, as everyone gets older they do seem to consume more don't they?!?! We are trying to get them to be a bit more mindful about how much they waste, too big of a second helping (and not finishing), a bowl full of ketchup for a couple of more bits etc.

    ReplyDelete