Wednesday, August 25, 2010

School decisions

As most of you know I have been struggling and researching schooling options for kids #1-#3.  This week we got the notice from our public school about where the children #1 and #2 would be placed.  After getting the notice in the mail I have developed a plan for each kid.

Kid #1 - The one option I REALLY wanted through our public school was a creative and innovative multi age program (3rd and 4th grade).  It really is the most amazing program.  I had all my eggs in this basket.   AND he got in, so we are going to try it.  I feel much more confident than before because I know that if it isn't working we can just go to our plan B - school at home.  He knows it too and is happy to try the classroom.

Kid #2 - With her special needs, my plan was that she would go to half day kindergarten through our public school where she will receive all her services.  She got a great teacher and the special education staff is wonderful, so that where she'll be every morning.   Every afternoon we will be homeschooling where I can focus more on her goals and skills.

Kid #3 - We did a 2 day a week preschool program last year, but in an effort to save money and really sample a homeschooling experience I have made the decision to keep her home.  I have a plan to add activities her and Kid #2 can do together as well as things we can do alone.  She is SO excited.  She is telling everyone, "I get to be homeschooled!"  I think it is the start of something.  I hope it catches one.

In the next few weeks, with the help of Steady Mom I will be creating schedules for each kid and a plan for our "after school" activities.  I want the kids (especially Kid #1) to make some goals for themselves this year.  My hope is to have things "up and running" by mid September.

Next week we being to prepare for school and how it will looks for us.  The learning room is almost done!!!  Pictures soon.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a really great plan for the year!

    ReplyDelete