Thursday, August 5, 2010

Chores and Kids

Yes, all my kids have "chores" to do. They are all age and ability appropriate things that help me and this household run a bit better.  I got this cool chore chart from Mom Agenda.  I like it because I can decide the chores each kid gets each week and they can rotate, so Kid # 1 can't say he "ALWAYS" has to wipe the bathroom counter.

Each child get an allowance on Sundays.  We keep tract of it on a sheet on the fridge.  They each get $1 per year.  Kid #1 get $8 a week, Kid #2 gets $6, and Kid #3 gets $4.  I know there are people that disagree with giving kids money to help around the house, but it works for us.

Here is how it works for us:
1. There are some things not on the list that you have to do to just being a part of the family.  Examples: Make your bed, take care of your dirty clothes, pick up behind yourself.
2. Hubby and I no longer buy anything deemed "non essential".  We provide food, clothing, shelter, and the expenses that come with activities (like this year's Cub Scouting book), but the things that are truly "extra" like the latest Lego set or a new outfit for Fancy Nancy needs to be paid for with allowance.
3. We take some of our money and give with it.  We have bought dog treats for the Humane Society and adopted a grandma last Christmas.
4. There are no loans.  If you don't have the money, the item has to wait until you do.

So far it has worked really well.  My kids think long and hard about what they want and how long it will take to get it.  Hopefully this is a lesson that will stay with them as they grow.

1 comment:

  1. my kids have chores too! However,we don't do allowance right now but will be thinking about it in the next little bit for the older ones. However I think 10 dollars is a bit much for my older one!! I am thinking just a few dollars a week!

    ReplyDelete