Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Reconnecting with Roald Dahl

Fantastic Mr. Fox I found a box set of Roald Dahl books in the bargain bin recently and was immediately taken back to childhood.  I read his books and loved them, would kid #1 feel the same way?  I brought the set home and put it on our bookshelf with no fuss.  Soon enough I got the "I am bored, mom," I knew would come along.  I told him to head to the bookshelves and see what he could find.  He came up from the basement, eyes wide.  "What are these," he asked "can I read them?"  He took off and in 2 days completed  Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I must say, I was a bit sad that we didn't get to read it together.  When he announced that his next selection was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I couldn't help myself.  "Can we read it together?" I asked.   "Sure, " he replied.  So off we went to read this book together.  It is so much fun discussing Charlie, his poverty, his dreams, how much his family loves each other even though they are so poor...AND we are only 4 chapters in.  I would have never guessed it. 

Our next project together is to finish "Charlie" then watch the "old" movie with Gene Wilder and the "new" movie with Johnny Depp (once I preview it).  That will give us a good jumping off point for compare and contrasting.  (And a good reason to eat popcorn!)

1 comment: